Monday, June 21, 2010

Princess Vanity Chair

So glad to finally be back here again. I have been unbelievably busy, and have another week of it. There isn't much room to put anything else on my calendar:oP. Anywho, I am really excited about today's post. I have had this little treasure in my garage for a few weeks now, and FINALLY got around to doing something with it. In it's former life it was a very sad little vanity chair. I don't have before pictures to prove it, but trust me, it was sad:o) The frame was a bronze finish(with a hint of rust), and the seat was just a piece of wood covered in 80's mauve vinyl plastic-y stuff with a rip down the center....U.G.L.Y. It was screaming "Help Me!" So I answered it's call and came up with this:
I love how it turned out. It's so girly. I used Krylon white spray paint with a matte finish on the frame. On the seat, I cut out some foam, and recovered it with some fabric that I purchased from Walmart. The button in the center of the cushion is fabric left over from this chair. I just used one of those button kits I had on hand...love those things! I didn't want to go over the top with the main fabric b/c there are so many bold prints in S.R.'s room. 

The skirt is 7 yards of shiny tulle from "Hobbly Lobbly" (as E calls it:o)).
Both of my children fell in love with this chair. E kept saying, "Aww that so beautiful, Mommy," and S.R. would say, "Dat so pweety." It now has a home in S.R.'s room underneath her antique vanity that was my great grandmother's.
Here is  what I made for my father and the hubs for their Father's Day gifts. They were very happy with them. This is a picture of my father's. The kids call him Papa. I still have to make one for Grandpa...I ran out of supplies, and since I like to wait until the very last minute to do EVERYTHING, his didn't get done.....but it will:o)
(sorry for the gross looking cutting mat in the background!)


***************************

Tomorrow's posting will kick start Fussy Monkey's Tuesday Tutorials. I am really looking forward to starting this up. I will show you how to make a jazzed up pillow case dress. See you then!