Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Pool Noodle Light Saber Tutorial

I know that if you have seen a Star Wars party, then you have seen these pool noodle light sabers. They are easy and extremely inexpensive to make, so that's why everyone is using them. 
I saw several different types of light sabers, but never saw a tutorial on how to make them. 
One of the problems I kept seeing with most of the light sabers was that the bottoms were kind of bubbly. The tape wasn't smooth. I knew how to remedy that, and I wanted to share with you how to do it as well.
 Your supply list:
Pool Noodle
Knife
Tape Measure
SHARP Scissors
Silver Duct Tape
Black Electrical Tape

You will want to measure your pool noodles and cut them in half using your knife. Then you can begin taping.  The pictures, I hope, are self explanatory...so I'll let them do most of the talking.

 Snip to the edge and overlap, all the way around each side.






 Smooth bottom of pool noodle.
 Turn noodle on it's side and begin taping around, making sure to keep it close to the bottom of the edge.
 Make sure you keep the edges lined up when you go around.
 Overlap just slightly for the next row of tape.
 For mine, I used 3 rows of tape. That seemed to be the right amount for the hilt.
 Next you will need to cut your black electrical tape. I cut multiple strips at 2 & 3/4" and just played around with the designs of the hilts...there is no right or wrong way. Just use your imagination, or look at a real light saber toy for inspiration...that's what I did:o) 
And then you should end up with something like this. Easy and best of all..CHEAP:o)
Hopefully this helps you in your endeavor to make a great party favor without spending a whole lot of money:o)