Friday, February 19, 2010

Pencil Art


Our anniversary was at the beginning of this month, so a gift was in order. The hubs is a HUGE 'Bama fan. He has his own office in our new home, and has started with the Alabama theme. (It isn't tacky...yet;o)) He has one of those stained glass lamps with a Bama emblem on it(which was very expensive, thank you in-store credit). I plan on buying some hounds tooth fabric and making him some curtains. Anywho, I really wanted to get him an Alabama print for our anniversary.... have you seen how much those puppies cost? Outrageous! So anyway, I thought that I would try to draw something for him, since I used to be a fairly good artist. I have always been able to copy cartoon art, but had never been able to draw living objects. I couldn't ever get the shading right..
I decided I would try to draw an elephant. I wanted the ears to be flared, so I hopped on the internet and typed in Elephant. The first elephant I came to had his ears flared, so boom there ya go, off to the printer Mr. Elephant...our printer was out of yellow ink, so the printer informed me that we can only print in black...that was the best thing that could have happened. Since the picture was in black and white, I was able to pick up all the high lights and low lights. In about 2 hours I had the picture drawn, and was SO EXCITED about it. My little precious monkeys kept jabbing at it with their little paws and moma was about to go ape on 'em. I had to hide it for a few days until I could figure out what I was going to do about a frame. Square frames are a lot more expensive, and I am too cheap to have it framed. One night, while laying in bed, I remembered that I had a print that I wasn't going to use since it no longer matched my decor. And guess what, it was in a square frame..SCORE! I had to physically rip that sucker out b/c someone got a little glue crazy at the picture factory. After all of that, I was able to get the elephant in his final resting place. When anniversary time came, I couldn't wait and gave it to the hubs before he headed into work. He was so impressed that he had to hang it immediately:o)